[ecidadania-dev] Objectives before the release of 0.2

  • From: Oscar Carballal Prego <oscar.carballal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ecidadania-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:20:45 +0200

Hi everyone,

I'm currently cleaning some code in e-cidadania and reviewing the code
from the GSoC to meet some guidelines regarding permissions and stuff.

I've elaborated a list of tasks that should be done before the release
of 0.2, if anyone if interested on doing any of those just file a bug
in the bugtracker and work on it :)

* Replace django-grappelli by django-prismriver[1] or
  django-admintools-bootstrap[2]. The reason for this is that we are
  not able to handle the changes on django-grappelli and in the last
  release (2.4.0) they rejected our patch to update the URL tags to the
  new syntax, making grappelli impossible to work on e-cidadania. Apart
  from that we can't be pendant of grappelli on every release to fix
  it. The proposed alternatives don't use anything special, they're
  supposed to work without problems.

* Bug #188: Replace django-userprofile by django-userena[3]. This change
  will enable messaging between the users and guarantee a newer
  codebase and updates. The current userprofile module has been
  undeveloped for 3 years now, and it can break anytime.

* Create an abtraction layer for permissions to meet DRY. We're
  currently checking lots of times in the views for the permissions of
  the users, and they are the same calls over and over again. We should
  add a minimal layer that can make that work a bit easier.

* Bug #198: Documentation update. The documents are outdated again.
  Also the code documentation has to be improved.

* Translations. We have to update the language catalogs and translate
  them, the language we're going to support: Spanish, English,
  Galician, French. Anyone is welcome to do new translation catalogs or
  request them until two weeks before the release.

*Directory tree cleaning. There are some unused files and directories,
  they should be wiped out.

* Update settings. We have to add the work from Hugo to the current
  settings.

This are the biggest issues that I think we should address right now.
Of course there are others also, especially related to the UX (user
experience) and some bugs related to Python directly, like the calendar
one.

If you people think there are other more important issues to address
right now just tell! :)

Regards,
Oscar

[1] https://bitbucket.org/PolCPP/django-prismriver