[ebooktalk] Re: Seika mini braille display.

  • From: "Steven Bingham" <steven.bingham1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:12:06 +0100

Shell

I have just taken delivery of one but haven't got much experience of using
it yet.

It appears to be a much more robust machine than the Esys12. It is a little
smaller than the usual paperback book.

I would suggest you download the instructions from the RNIB website. They
are fairly straightforward and will give you a very good idea of what the
machine does.

Two points I would make. The machine uses a mini SD card. In order to
transfer books to the card you will need to put it into a card reader. Most
card reader do not have a slot for the mini SD card and you need an adaptor.
An adaptor is not supplied with the machine. If you buy a new card you
always get an adaptor with it - so that's the only answer to that one.

Second, there is not an onboard Braille translator, in order to read in
Grade 2 Braille you will need to put text through a translation program. I
use Kurzweil 1000 for this but there are others. The American Foundation for
the Blind have a free translation program on their site.

Once I have used it a bit I will let you know how I get on but it's looking
good.

Steve