[ebooktalk] Re: Americanisms and anachronisms.

  • From: "Steven Bingham" <steven.bingham1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 12:02:20 +0100

Trish and everyone

I've misplaced Trish's email questioning the language in Ken Follett's
Earthly Powers. Clarys would almost certain have used the old English
equivalent of 'grope'. Grope seems to have been the word used for any form
of sexual touching so much so that the alley way in London that is now known
as Hoop Lane was known from the 14th to the 18th century as Grope C-nt Lane
(It runs from Holburn towards Lincoln' Inn Fields). The old English term
seem to have become too rude for the Georgians.

On this subject I was recently reading a modern American article about the
Wife of Bath's tale from Chaucer. At one point in her prologue she says "He
would have his hands on my cunny." (well that's what Coghill translates it
as) in this article she says "He would touch my vagina." Technically correct
but somehow lacks the spirit.

Steve