[duxuser] Re: maps in braille

  • From: "Jack Porter" <jsporter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:14:13 -0600

Hi Ketan:

The American Printing House for the Blind, sells a starter kit for doing
tactiles with foil.  The technique requires creating a reverse graphic image of
the map or chart, etc, on a piece of velum, adhering that to the reverse side
of a foil, tracing the outline onto the foil and then burnishing, etc the front
side of the foil before gluing it to a braille page containing the page numbers
and title for the tactile.  You can use a Perkins broiler to braille
keys/labels directly onto the foil before beginning the tracing process. Once
completed the tactile can then be thermoformed.  The starter kit contains all
you need in the way of tools and some sample foil sheets.  APH also sells 75
foot rolls of the foil.  APH contact information is:
 The American Printing House for the Blind
1839 Frankfort Avenue
P.O. Box 6085
Louisville, KY 40206-0085, USA
Phone: (800)223-1839 or (502)895-2405.
Fax: (502)899-2274

Its a bit time consuming, but the results are quite good.  Good luck.

Jack Porter
St. Louis, MO