[duxuser] external keyboards supporting six-key braille input.

  • From: "Lisa Hall" <lhall007@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'duxbury user list'" <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 22:35:45 -0500

Hi everyone,

I have a netbook computer Aspirer AOA150 with built-in keyboard with 3 USB
ports for attaching devices such as thumb drives, DVD drives, external hard
drives, PacMate Braille display, etc.
I recently installed Duxbury 10.7 service release 1 to see if I could write
Braille on this particular keyboard.
The result was not what I was wanting to see.
I have tried both a s d f j k l ; and x c v , . /.
That is a comma, period, and a slash for those using speech in reading this
message.
I looked at the list of keyboards listed on the pokadot web site located at
http://www.braille-pokadot.com/keyboard.html.
Tonight as I was writing this message, a friend of mine bought me a Logitech
200 keyboard and it does allow me to type six-key entry on that. Now I am so
excited. It was purchased at Wal-mart.
Another problem I am having now is when I write a file in Grade 2 Braille
with Braille and speech, JAWS reads it as comma for capital sign, a number 4
for the period, and so forth.
I know that there is a JAWS script for DBT but for it to work I cannot
remember how to configure it properly.
Can anyone help in this area?
I also cannot use any of the hot keys associated with this at the moment.
Also, how do I configure my computer to open the braille file for Duxbury?
I know that there is a way to do that in Windows explorer or my computer
through the folder options I think.
I need a response right away.
Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Lisa Hall, Braille Proofreader
Former BANA Representative for Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually
Impaired
Cincinnati, Ohio

President since 1996 of
National Association of Blind Office Professionals (NABOP), a Division of
National Federation of the Blind

Web page:
http://www.lisa-halls-world.org

Work phone: (513) 522-3860, extension 2271
Cell phone: (513) 550-5155
Home phone: (513) 931-7070

E-mail: lhall007@xxxxxxxxxxxx
MSN I.D.: lhall10@xxxxxxxxxxx (no email at this address)