[duxuser] Re: duxbury on a notebook

  • From: Steve Dresser <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:14:46 -0500

Lloyd,

There's no doubt that a batch file could be made to do all the necessary copying and renaming. In fact, I could write the batch file without much difficulty, but this is still a lot more work than going into the Global Settings Menu to make the necessary changes. Even if the file already existed, you'd waste more time and effort running it than you would if you just changed the settings.

Steve

On Monday 3/10/03 10:20 Lloyd G. Rasmussen wrote:

Batch files can be used by the shortcuts that launch Windows programs.  It
wouldn't be too hard to have two different DBT shortcuts, each of which
runs a batch file that does the proper Copy command before starting DBT.  I
haven't done these things, but I think it would work.

At 10:16 PM 3/9/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Terri,
>
>It's much easier to just change what you want in the menus than to go
>through all that renaming and copying. Besides, in all that mucking around
>with files you might very well delete something.
>
>Steve
>
>On Saturday 3/8/03 13:21 Terri Pannett wrote:
>>Dear George,
>>
>>I have a suggestion which you probably have done before. It's awkward, but
>>once everything is set up, it works like a charm. It did it using DOS DBT
>>and I just set things up for Windows DBT.
>>
>>Step 1. Ascertain which file the default values of your global settings are
>>in. In DBTWIN, the file is called dbtp004.dxr.
>>
>>2. Rename the file so you know which paper size the file is set for.
>>Example: dbtp011.dxr would be a good name for 11 by 11.5 paper. Be sure the
>>dxr extension is in the file name.
>>
>>Step 3. Open DBT. The program will think there are no global files and it
>>will bring up its original settings. Change these settings to your second
>>embosser's settings and exit DBT.
>>
>>Step 4. You now have a new dbtp004.dxr which reflects the settings for your
>>second embosser. Rename this file to something like dbt008.dxr for 8.5
>>paper.
>>
>>5. Copy both files to a safe place for storage.
>>
>>Step 6. Before you start DBT, choose the paper size you want by renaming
>>the file to dbtp004.dxr.
>>
>>Step 7. Now, to change the global file, delete the present dbtp004.dxr and
>>rename the second one to dbtp004.dxr.
>>
>>Be sure to keep the copies of all your global settings in a safe place so
>>you can simply copy them again and again into your Duxbury folder and use
>>them.
>>
>>I know this is awkward, and you probably have done this in the past, but I
>>mention it for anyone else who has never set up more than one global setting
>>and wants to change quickly without going through the menus.
>>
>>Terri Amateur Radio call sign KF6CA. Army MARS call sign AAT9PX, California

Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535  <lras@xxxxxxx>
<http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <lras@xxxxxxxxxxx>       <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.

* * * * This message is via list duxuser at freelists.org. * To unsubscribe, send a blank message with * unsubscribe * as the subject to <duxuser-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You may also * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode and other subscription * options by visiting //www.freelists.org. The list archive * is also located there. * Duxbury Systems' web site is http://www.duxburysystems.com * * *