[duxuser] braille production equipment.

  • From: "Lisa Hall" <lhall10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "duxbury user list" <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 21:16:17 -0500

Hi everyone,

As some of you know I have been recently certified as a Braille Transcriber
through the Library of Congress as of May 12, 2004.  I am currently doing a
research for suppliers such as binding machine, bursting machine which
separates Braille paper already embossed and also removes the strips from
either side of the paper.  For those who are involved in Braille production in
any form, would you be willing to share with me some of the sources that are
economical?  I know that there are several hole punchers in three-ring as well
as 19-hole binding.  I know that this list have discussed sources for covers
and combs for binding in the past.

At this time, I have an old VersaPoint Braille printer that prints at 20
characters per second which is way too slow for serious Braille production.

During my internship at Northwest Vista College in January 2004, I spent
approximately 3 hours at Region 20 Braille Department with Bob Walling, the
Director of the Braille Department in San Antonio, Texas.  I spent 1-1/2 hour
working on the thermoform machine making copies of Braille paper that have
tactile graphics on them.  I spent 30 minutes running the bursting machine and
putting the volumes of braille books together with a rubber band.  I spent the
last 1-1/2 hour running the binding machine putting the covers and all the
braille papers together for binding the finished product.

I know that the thermoform machine cost between 2,000.00 to 3,000.00. I believe
that the binding machine runs around $275.00. I know that covers and combs vary
in pricing depending on the quantity and and supplier who makes them.

I look forward to everyone's responses on these recommendations and experiences.

Lisa Hall, Texas
President of National Association of Blind Office Professionals
A Division of National Federation of the Blind
---------
"It's Not Over Until I Win."
-- Les Brown
MSN or email me at lhall10@xxxxxxxxxxx