[duxuser] Re: Two questions about formats

  • From: Steve Dresser <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:50:19 -0400

Susan,

I completely agree that changing the print file or "input" is the best way to go because it forces you to become familiar with and understand the translation software. Unfortunately, transcribers are almost always under tremendous pressure to finish the job as quickly as possible, which means they'll take any shortcut that makes that happen. Ironically, most people don't even use a word processor correctly, but they can fake it because they can get the file to look right on the screen. Of course, they run into trouble when they try to change the print size because the word processor assumes that you're playing by the rules when you generate the document.

The main advantage to having a "portable braille format" is that a file in that format could be sent directly to the braille embosser without the need for translation software, which often costs more than people want to spend, especially if they aren't in the business of transcribing braille.

Steve

On Friday 6/20/03 10:55 Susan Jolly wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have two related questions about the general issues related to braille
file formats that have come up in the last week or so.

Here is the background for the first question.  When I first learned to
use a computer many years ago, there was a clear distinction between
input and output just like there is when you use a calculator now.

The human prepared the input and the computer program produced the
output.  If there was something wrong with the output, then the human
would go back to the input and make any necessary changes.  If it became
obvious that the problem was not with the input, then the human would
get the computer program fixed.  In other words, one did not directly
change the output in the case of a problem.

With braille transcribing we don't follow that old approach.  I think
everyone understands that the print source is the input and the braille
file is the output but that doesn't keep people from changing the
braille file.  This seems to be done for at least three reasons.  First,
it is sometimes just quicker or easier than going back to the print
source or trying to understand how to do something complicated.  Second,
sometimes the transcribing software doesn't work properly and there
isn't any way to get the software fixed quickly.  Third, the transcriber
wants to make some sort of personal customization that is outside the
rules that the software supports.

Now, except for the case of personal customization, it seems to me that
it would be better if we worked toward the situation where the
transcriber only changes the print source input, including, of course,
formatting tags, when the braille output doesn't come out properly.

My first question is how the rest of you feel about the desirability of
just changing the print input and not the braille output?

Now to the background for the second question.  It was pointed out here
that it would be useful if there were a new, special file format for
braille output that would allow the same braille file to be displayed or
embossed using different settings for the number of cells per line or
the number of lines per page.  Now you can imagine this would have to be
quite a complicated format just to deal with the effect of the change in
the number of cells per line on braille sequencing rules.  And, as
others have pointed out, the page numbers will generally change so if
there is a Table of Contents, that would have to be adjusted
automatically.  Nonetheless, it is probably possible even though
difficult.

My second question is what advantages, if any, using this special file
format would have over simply re-transcribing the original print source
with the new parameters?

Of course, the possibility of re-transcribing assumes that the original
braille output is completely consistent with the original print which
means there haven't been any direct changes to the braille output.
(Actually, it is unlikely that one could make direct changes to the
special file format we are imagining because of its complexity.)

Thank you,
Susan Jolly

* * * * This message is via list duxuser at freelists.org. * To unsubscribe, send a blank message with * unsubscribe * as the subject to <duxuser-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You may also * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode and other subscription * options by visiting //www.freelists.org. The list archive * is also located there. * Duxbury Systems' web site is http://www.duxburysystems.com * * *