[duxuser] Re: Questions about Save As Option

  • From: "Caryn Navy" <caryn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 18:18:30 -0400

Hello Dani and MariAnne. I'm responding to your question from several days
ago.

A .brf file is made up of braille page images. It contains the actual
characters that make up a braille printout when you emboss. That includes
multiple spaces, carriage returns, page numbers in the appropriate page
corners, page breaks, etc.

On the other hand, when you are working in a braille document in DBT, here's
what happens when you make the Save as choice of Refreshable braille
(*.lbf). DBT saves a braille file which does not use carriage returns,
multiple spaces, and so on to show the braille format as in a .brf file.
Instead it shows the formatting information with format indicators that
start with dots 1246 (dollar sign in North American computer braille). These
are the format indicators given in the Provisional Guidelines for Linear
Braille Format - 1987, available from the BANA website on the page:

http://www.brailleauthority.org/linear/linear1987.html

Most of the format indicators consist of dots 1246 followed by one or more
characters, with a space on each side. These include $p for paragraph, $h
for a main heading, $h#a for a heading at the next level down, and others.
There is also a special indicator for the beginning of a new print page.
That indicator is dots 5, 25 followed by the page number in literary braille
followed by dots 25, 2. In a .lbf file you won’t see the line of dashes
leading up to the print page number in braille, as you do in a .brf file.
The goal of the format indicators in a .lbf file is to show the format
information in a linear way that is not based on braille pages and does not
depend on the number of cells on the braille display.

You also asked about why the braille document Save as options offer the two
different choices of .brf file, Formatted braille, USA encoding and
Formatted braille, local encoding. The braille encoding tells which ASCII
character is used to represent each braille character. In DBT the braille
encoding is set under Global settings - Internationalization. The default
choice of North American English uses the North American computer braille
that is standard in the USA. If you haven’t changed that setting, then there’s
no reason to mess with it now, and the two Formatted braille Save as types
give exactly the same results. But in other countries there are some
different systems for mapping braille to ASCII. The user can run into
trouble if the braille encoding does not match the setting on the braille
equipment they are using with their screen reader. If a non-USA braille
encoding is in use, the user might choose Formatted braille, local encoding,
to create brf files with that local braille encoding for their own use or
for others in their country.

All the best,
Caryn

Caryn Navy