[duxuser] Re: Inserting Print Page Numbers, Line Codes

  • From: Steve Dresser <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:16:05 -0400

Rick,

You don't need to press Enter after pressing Alt-Enter, unless you want to have a blank line at the top of the page. The only time Enter is required is when you use the drop-down list to enter codes. If you want a better idea of what's actually happening, press Alt-F3 so that you can see the codes you enter.

The [<] code is a hard line break, and it's what you get when you press Enter. This line break is inserted unconditionally, which differs from the [l] code, which inserts a line break only if there is no other line break preceding it. The [>] code inserts a tab character.

Steve

On Saturday 9/20/03 10:46 Rick Boggess wrote:

I recently had occasion to insert print page numbers into a document using alt-enter. I thought I was to type in the page number after pressing alt-enter and then right arrow to get outside the brackets. However, I could not do this; I had to press enter. As a result I got a blank line after the line of dots with the page number. What is the proper procedure?

Could someone please elaborate on the difference between the "l" and "p" line codes? Pleas give specifics as to when you use each. Are there times they can be used interchangeably? Also, isn't there a line code that is "<" or ">"?

Rick Boggess