[duxuser] FW: Re: interline printing

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 22:13:16 -0000

Hi Rick,

Regarding your query about the forward slash back
translation, I hope the following response from Duxbury will
explain things a little.

George.

Hi George,

The back-translation of the "old" literary slash (oblique
stroke) is inherently ambiguous, since the sign (dots 34) is
same as the "st" contraction and, especially when there are
letters on each side, there is really no formal difference.
The DBT tables contain a few common phrases, such as
"and/or", but apart from those cases normally translates
dots 34 as "st". Fortunately, this is changing for both
American and British Braille because the slash, at least
when embedded in letters, is being changed to dots 456,34
and that sign presents no ambiguity.

At 11/1/2004 09:45 AM +0000, George Bell wrote:

        Hi Rick,

        Many thanks for the details.

        Ink printing can be a shade tricky to set up
initially,
        since there are a number of variables which affect
what ends
        up of the page.  That said, I would have expected,
        "Auto-determine point size for printed output" to
have
        scaled the font to provide a full page.

        The back translation error does indeed need to be
looked at.

        I have reported both issues to Software Development.
Many
        thanks for taking the trouble to point these out.

        George bell.

Rick
        Boggess
        > Sent: 01 November 2004 02:37
        > To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        > Subject: [duxuser] Re: nterline printing
        >
        > George, I am using a Romeo 25 printer on 11 by
11.5 inch
        > paper.  My printer is an hp 610C.  On the Romeo
I'm using
        > 40 character line and 25 lines per page with top
margin 1.

        > My ink printer is set to 1-inch margins with 65
characters

        > per line.  For the print font, I have the setting
        automatic.

        > I typed the document in as a print file.  I then
        translated
        > the file and embossed the raille copy which turned
out
        fine.
        > The problem occurred when I printed the embossed
file on
        the
        > inkjet printer.  If the page is full, the bottom
one to
        two
        > lines are cut off.  The interline feature was
checked.
        > The simulated braille seemed fine, but in print
        "cloudy/partly cloudy"
        > showed up as "cloudystpartly cloudy."
        >
        > Rick

George
        Bell
        > Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2004 12:44 PM
        > To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        > Subject: [duxuser] Re: nterline printing
        >
        > Hi Rick,
        >
        > Can you please specify which embosser you are
using, as
        well
        > as size of paper?
        >
        > Could you also be a shade more specific about the
slash St

        > error please, such as the steps you took to
produce it?

        > George.

interline
        > printing feature to print some items.  However,
the bottom

        > one or two lines seem to get cut off.
        > Has anyone else encountered this problem and what
settings
        do
        > you use to avoid the problem?  I've also
discovered some
        > translation errors such as the slash (/) shows up
as "St"
        in
        > print.  By the way, I'm using 10.5.
        >
        > Rick Boggess
        >

        > * * *
        > * This message is via list duxuser at
freelists.org.
        > * as the subject to
<duxuser-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You
        may also
        > * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode
and other
        subscription
        > * options by visiting //www.freelists.org.
<//www.freelists.org. /> The list
        archive
        http://www.duxburysystems.com
<http://www.duxburysystems.com/>
        > * * *
        >

        > This Message has been scanned for viruses by
McAfee
        Groupshield.