[duxuser] Re: FW: FW: [UEB] FW: Translation of the Name Bethesda

  • From: Joe Sullivan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: George Bell <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 13:38:18 -0400

Hi George et al.,

I believe that DBT's treatment of "Bethesda" can be traced to the old British Braille rule that an initial "be" needed to be unstressed as well as a separate syllable. At least that's presumably the explanation for the word appearing without the "be" contracted in Appendix III ("Guide to Contracting") of the 2004 British Braille manual. This approach was effectively recommended for UEB in the 2006 report of the UEB Contractions committee, which you can still see as an unlinked file on the ICEB website at

http://www.iceb.org/uebcon01.html

In that report, note "group 12," which would include "Bethesda", and that is one of the groups that the report recommends be treated according to the pre-UEB British practice. At the time the report was accepted and the DBT tables were put together accordingly.

However, though I don't recall that the matter was ever explicitly taken up by any committee since, I see that the eventual UEB Rules document does not include "unstressed" in the rule applicable to "be" and of course that document supersedes anything prior. So I suppose that use of "be" in "Bethesda" is appropriate given the UEB Rules as written -- perhaps likewise in "Beowulf" and a few others that I'll have to track down. It will be easy enough to change the tables, and I expect to do so in short order -- say, a week or so -- but will BCC the chair of the CMC on this reply just in case she thinks some further consideration is required.

Cheers,
Joe Sullivan

At  2018-12-17 06:37, George Bell wrote:

Hi All,

James Bowden is our UK’s ICEB representative, and he responded as follows.

George