[duxuser] Re: Changing translation tables in the same document

  • From: Päivi Suhonen <paivi.suhonen@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 14:11:28 +0300

Hi all,

I'm working for Library for the Visually Impaired in Finland and the problem
that Nadine mentioned is very familiar to us, too. Very often we have in our
mainly Finnish documents other languages as well. And the language table in
Duxbury allows us to use only a few characters that don't exist in Finnish.

Nadine, if you need to use Finnish in an English document, there are only three
characters you need to worry about: ä, ö and å. All other letters are the same
as in English. The letter ä is dots 3-4-5, ö is dots 2-4-6 and å is dots 1-6. I
don't know what characters these would represent in English Braille, but you
could just search-replace them with the corresponding character in your
document. Finnish Braille is always uncontracted, so you should mark the
sections in Finnish uncontracted before translating to Braille.

The possible differences in punctuation marks in different languaes we solve by
using the same punctuation marks through the document, namely the Finnish
punctuation, when the document is mainly in Finnish.

Regards,
Päivi

Päivi Suhonen, projektipäällikkö / Project Manager
Celia - Näkövammaisten kirjasto / Libarary for the Visually Impaired
PL 20, 00030 IIRIS / PO Box 20, FIN-00030 IIRIS
(Marjaniementie 74, Helsinki, Finland)
Puh /Tel: (09) 2295 2324
Fax: (09) 2295 2295
e-mail: paivi.suhonen@xxxxxxxx