[duxuser] Re: Changing Grades

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:14:46 -0500

Hello Listers:

There are instances of DBT codes that will only work when files are
being transcribed from print to braille and will therefore not work if
you try to use them when entering them directly in a braille file in
the braille editor.

One of the reasons for this is that when the file is transcribed from
print to braille, the interpretation of the code is acted upon by use
of rules that are contained within the various conversion tables that
are used when transcribing a file from print to braille.  The result
is that when these codes are encountered in a print file, the rules
within the conversion tables, when these codes are encountered,
interpret the codes purpose, performs the necessary action that
corresponds according to those rules, produces the braille output
according to those rules and then drops the code.

So, if you then try to perform a search in the transcribed file for
these codes, you would actually have to search for the resulting
braille text output and not the code.

The secret is knowing which codes behave like this and which codes do
not, that is the question!

Apart from the reasons given above, I personally prefer preparing the
resulting braille file with the use of the DBT print editor.

The reasons for doing this are many and varied.  One of the main
advantages is that you can share files with sighted colleagues.  The
main reason for myself is that most of the work I do is with imported
files from existing sources.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber