[duxuser] Re: Automatic paragraph styles in 10.5

  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:27:10 -0000

Hi Ann,

I'm curious to know why you should have to change paragraph
Styles to include a blank line between then, and begin in
cell 1?

I could understand there being a few very exceptional
circumstances, but both BANA and BAUK recommend no blank
line, and beginning the paragraph in cell 3.

I know for sure that if we deviated from the BAUK
recommended paragraph format here in the UK, we would be
inundated with complaints from experienced braille readers.

George.

Foxworth, Ann
> Sent: 01 March 2005 13:19
> To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxuser] Re: Automatic paragraph styles in 10.5
>
> Well, I'm the biggest dummie in the world because, even
after
> all the advice you all have given me about how to create
such
> a style, I still can not do it in real life.  I wonder why

> there aren't any styles already available in Duxbury to
> address differing paragraph styles.  I hope that in some
> future version, the Word importer will either have a
choice
> for the ones most commonly used or a "none" setting so
that
> we can expect Duxbury to utilize the paragraph style we
set
> up in our Word docs.
>

> Ann Foxworth, Braille Consultant
> Div. for Blind Services
> 4800 N. Lamar BLVD
> Austin, TX 78756
> PH: 512-377-0471,
> E-mail: ann.foxworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

for
> a document that will contain block paragraphs from
beginning
> to end, it is cumbersome if a document is to contain a
> mixture of standard formatted braille paragraphs and block

> braille paragraphs.
>
> The reason for this, is that you would have to remember to

> insert the [svprgn:n] code before each paragraph code or
> style when you wanted to change from one paragraph type to

> the other, as follows:
>
> [svprg0:1]
>
> prior to starting block paragraphs, so that all paragraphs

> are blocked to the left margin and have a blank line
before
> and after each block paragraph; and
>
> [svprg3:0]
>
> prior to starting standard formatted paragraphs, where the

> first line of each paragraph is indented to cell 3 and
there
> is no blank line before and after each paragraph.
>
> The beauty and advantage of creating styles which contain
the
> correct codes built into them, is that if you construct
the
> style correctly to produce the desired result, you do not
> have to remember anything else, except apply the correct
> style at the appropriate places throughout any document
where
> you want those types of styles.
>
> This is why when I am preparing documents for
transcription
> to braille, I style code documents as much as possible
> instead of manually coding documents.
>
> Some of the advantages of using styles, are as follows:
> virtually eliminates the mistyping the syntax in codes;
> minimizes the possibility of leaving out a code in a
string
> of codes; avoids having to search for strings of codes in
> order to make changes especially if you do not enter a
string
> of codes in the same order throughout a document.
>
> On the other hand, if you want to change a code or
parameter
> within a code that is contained in a style to alter the
> output, you only have to edit a code or codes contained in
> style to affect the output globally throughout a document,

> where that style is used.
>
> In 1995, I transcribed the "JAWS for DOS" manual".  I
> manually coded the file from beginning to end.  I took
nearly
> four weeks to produce the completed work.  It contained 6
> volumes and had approximately 700 sides of braille.
>
> Last year, I transcribed "Verbal View of Word Basics".
> Except for a few codes that needed to be entered manually,
> used styles 98% of the time to produce the finished book.
It
> contains 7 volumes and has 986 sides of braille.  It took
me
> 10, 8 hour days to produce the book.
>
> The two examples, do not include the proofreading time.
>
> Sincerely:
>
> Dave Durber
>

> --
> * as the subject to <duxuser-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You
may also
> * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode and other
subscription
> * options by visiting //www.freelists.org.  The list
archive
http://www.duxburysystems.com