[duxhelp] Re: Unable to emboss

  • From: "Loeffler, Kevin J." <loeffler@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:09:00 -0500

I don't know that I have a preference.  I would think it best to NOT
require
a registry hack to remove anything.  This will be complicated for some
of the
regular users and they probably shouldn't be in the registry for their
systems'
own good.  Having administrators edit a key manually to prevent
overwriting the
settings sounds like it may be the best option.  Regular users can
always make
the needed changes to their registry.  Systems managed by administrators
can
be locked down with the registry key set to 1 instead of the default 0.
So I
guess I do prefer one over the others - your final alternative seems
like it
would cause the least disruption for ALL parties involved, not just
systems
administrators.

If you go with the first option you suggested, how hard would it be to
post a
registry edit file to undo settings from a previous build of DBT?
You'll
only have one to start with, and if you update the reg files as new
builds
come out, users could use the reg file to remove the registry branch
from
older builds without getting into the registry by hand.  The new build
could
then be installed and it could create the new branch as needed.

Kevin--