[duxhelp] Margin Bell

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:57:14 +0100

In the hope I'm not teaching too many grandmothers how to
suck eggs, I thought I'd add an explanation about the
enhanced margin Bell feature.

Essentially, when you are entering a braille document, you
have the option to set a margin bell in the same way as you
have on a Perkins Brailler.  This is done via the Global
menu, View Preferences dialog where you can set a position
at which the bell will sound.  To disable this, set it to
zero.

But in actual fact, it's not a bell, but a not very exciting
beep which usually comes through the PC's internal speaker.

However if you place a wave file called "margin.wav" into
the Duxbury program folder - in the case of Beta 5,
probably:-
c:\Program Files\Duxbury\DBT 10.6 (Beta 5)
it will play this instead.

You can use almost any .wav file you like, and in the case
of the attached, I found one on my system called "ding.wav",
copied it to the above folder, and renamed it to
"margin.wav".  Now it sounds just like a Perkins.

I'm sure many teachers will see the potential here when
teaching 6 key entry of using different bell sounds for
their students, if only to brighten up the lesson.