[duxhelp] Re: Fw: Re: DBT 10.5 SR2 is ready for beta testing

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 13:42:13 -0400

Susan,

You raise several issues.

I've corrected the handling of the \overleftrightarrow LaTeX construction in
our importer.  This should make imports of things like "line XY" work much
better.  Our importer simply had a bug.

I've also added handling for the \widehat LaTeX construction, which you use
for things like "arc EFG".  From the name and printed appearance of that
operator, I wonder whether it really is intended for use to indicate an arc.
However, if it is customary in Scientific Notebook to use it for this, we
can support that.  We still have to add one or more rules to the translation
table to finish this job, however.  I'll be talking with Joe about that
later today, and hope to have this resolved before the end of the week.

A few of the other issues you raise are also in the translator.  For
example, you mention that what I call the "short form" of the right arrow
should be used in a contruction for "ray AB".  Is it a truism that the
"short form" should be used whenever it comes immediately after a baseline
indicator?  Or does it depend upon a larger understanding of context?  Also,
spacing around the congruent sign is something that I'll have to discuss
with Joe.  I presume that we should be implementing this rule much as we
have done for the equal sign.

Matrices and data tables are a whole other subject; I don't see making
progress on them in the immediate future.  We're working on a better
formatter from scratch, which will make improvements such as this much
simpler.

Thanks for having such a detailed look at DBT's math importer & translator.
Your clear and well-distilled examples helped a lot.  I'm sorry that it took
me this long to have a detailed look.

Best Regards,

Peter