[duxhelp] Re: DBT Codes in Word

  • From: Susan <chrn3292@xxxxxxx>
  • To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 23:52:58 -0500

Hi George,

Here you go ... this was done in a rush, so hopefully I didn't miss any
steps or mistype.

Of course you realize I'm giving away some of my secrets, right? ;-)

Susan

These instructions are for Word 2003.

There are a couple of issues to keep in mind before you start.

1) Decide if you want the AutoText entries in a specific template other
than normal.dot. The simple way of creating AutoText entries will
automatically include them in your normal.dot template â even if you
working in a different template at the time.

2) Activate the AutoText toolbar and take a look at the drop down list.
You can specify a category for your entries based on the paragraph style
you use when first setting this up (described below). If you donât
create a special category, it will likely end up in a Normal category
(if Normal is the paragraph style you are using during the process).

If you are using a special template, use that template while creating
the AutoText entries. My recommendation is to type in all the DBT codes
you want to include first. (Suggestion: I also created an âemptyâ code,
  [[*__*]].  The __ can easily be replaced with a code not included in
the AutoText entries.) Also format them as you desire â using a
character style with hidden text and a special color is my approach. To
have all the codes appear in a single AutoText category other than the
current paragraph style name, select all of your codes and then create a
new paragraph style by pressing Ctrl-Shift-S and typing the name you
want (such as Codes, DBT, Braille, etc.) â this is the category where
the AutoText entries will be placed.

Now you are ready to begin adding the codes to AutoText. For best
results, make sure you have non-printing characters turned ON.

1. Select the first code. DONâT include spaces or paragraph marks. If
you include the paragraph mark, the entry will be inserted as a separate
paragraph.

2. To add to normal.dot: Press Alt-F3. The Create AutoText box will pop
up with the code inserted. I would recommend you change this to a
meaningful name. Press Enter. Itâs now included in the AutoText list. If
you have your AutoText Toolbar still active, youâll see that it is
assigned to the category based on whatever the paragraph style was used
for your entry. Continue this procedure for the rest of your codes.

3. To add to specific template: After selecting the code, go to Insert |
AutoText | AutoText. Select your template in the Look in drop down. Make
sure you've renamed the entry if desired. Click Add. Now it is only
added to that template. Continue this procedure for the rest of your codes.

     Place AutoText Entries on a Menu
You can add a menu to a current toolbar, or create a new toolbar and add
menus to that.

New Toolbar: Right click toolbar area and select Customize (OR go to
View | Toolbars | Customize OR go to Tools | Customize). On the Toolbars
tab, click New. Give the toolbar a name and select the template if you
want it in a different template than normal.dot (presumably you are
working with a document using that template) â and then click OK. The
new toolbar will probably be floating next to the dialog box. You can
leave it there for now or drag it to the toolbar area.

New Menu: Youâre still working in the Customize dialog, but now choose
the Commands tab.  If you are working in a specific template, make sure
you choose it from the Save in drop down. At the bottom of the
Categories list on the left is New Menu. Select that and youâll see New
Menu pops into the Commands list on the right. Click on New Menu in the
Commands list and drag it to the toolbar of choice. That will put a new
entry on the toolbar called New Menu with a drop down arrow. New Menu
will be enclosed in a black outline â right click on it and give it a
new name. If you want to access it using a hotkey, put & in front of the
letter of choice. Itâs nicer if you can choose a letter not already used
with other menus but thatâs not always easy.

The Customize dialog MUST stay open throughout this entire process, as
itâs the only way you can create and modify the menus.

To add AutoText entries to the menu: Go back to the Commands tab in the
Customize dialog, and look for AutoText towards the bottom of the
Categories list. Select that. All the AutoText entries will be listed in
the Commands list. Select the entry you want and then drag it to the new
menu. The first entry may be a little tricky, but you need to get a
small box to expand from the bottom of the menu, and then drop the
AutoText entry. Once again, you can right click on it and modify the
name or add the & to a letter if you wish.

Shortcut keystrokes: To assign keystrokes to any or all of your AutoText
entries, click the Keyboard button at the bottom of the Commands tab. If
you are working with a special template, select it in the Save changes
to drop down. Now choose AutoText from the Categories list and then the
specific entry from the Commands list. Try various keystrokes in the
Press new shortcut key box until you find one thatâs not assigned (or
one you donât mind reassigning from a feature you donât use). Click
Assign. After shortcut keystrokes are assigned, youâll see them listed
in your new menu. If you donât see the shortcuts listed on your menu, go
to the Options tab on your Customize dialog and make sure Show
ScreenTips on toolbars and Show Shortcut keys in ScreenTips are checked.

Before you exit Word, you will likely be prompted about saving changes
to your template. Obviously you want to agree.

George Bell wrote on 4/22/2006, 5:38 AM:

Susan,

Both.