[dungeoncrawl] Re: Monster deities

  • From: Johnathan Detrick <jdetrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dungeoncrawl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:32:38 -0400

    I've been debating with myself if eliminating the humanoid deities
would make the humanoids more interesting or less interesting.
    At the moment I lean toward more interesting.  Think about it.
Right now almost all orcs worship one deity, all gnolls worship one, all
troglodytes worship one, all kobolds worship one....etc, etc, etc.  It
gives the races a little more flair, but it also makes them very
static.  One tribe of orcs is much the same as another, which isn't much
different from the one that exists half a continent away.  Because they
have only one god, they tend to be pretty homogenous.
    If we eliminate their one god, and give them multiple deities to
choose from, we create greater diversity within the species.  That makes
them more interesting.  Who would want to play a human if they all had
to worship Tempus?  That's basically how I feel with all the orcs
worshipping Grummsh.
    Of course, the downside is inherent in the upside.  If we make them
diverse like that, have we just taken away all that makes orcs
interesting (assuming that they are interesting) and turned them into
human with pig snouts?  I'm not sure.
    My other problem is that I like the idea of playing with the
histories of these races.  Let's say the gnolls (one of my favorite
humanoids) have a grand racial history of how there god deposited the
best and brightest on this planet, and they are destined to rule it
someday.  Of course, that's all a lie.  Actually, the gnolls on this
world were magically created by an evil and insane transmuter, who
crossed an orc with a dog.  He crafted their phony mythology for them to
see what they would do.  We could do some great plots as the gnolls set
out to conquer great swaths of territory, and the heroes can only stop
them by finding the secret of their race, which will demoralize them
enough for the demihumans to fight back.  I somewhat interesting plot,
which we can't do if the gnoll god is hanging around.
    One final point to consider.  I am for starting out with no other
deities carrying over from other Realms.  But I think we could do oodles
of cool plots that involve those other deities trying to make their way
into this world.  It works great for the player characters on this
world, as these plots are always massive and very exciting, and it
involves us with our old characters as well.