[drivingpairs] Re: young horses

  • From: Carpediemfarm@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:41:08 EST

Hi all,
thought I'd put in my 2cents here on the subject that Kathy R. brought up.
As a trainer, I get all sorts of horses of all ages to train.  IMHO, horses
should just be allowed to grow up without being pushed too hard too fast!  Up
until they are 2 yrs, they should just get the basics of ground work.  They can
start their harness & saddle training at 3 (yes they have the attention span of
a gnat- 20 min. MAX).  I don't feel that they are physically or mentally
ready for competition until age 4 at a MINIMUM!  Also, in my experience, I've
discovered that most horses don't get their minds until they are at least 6
years
old. That's when the lightbulb goes off and they finally say one day "OH, I
get it, this is what you want me to do! OK!!).
People in general want instantanious results and  instant gratification, and
are not willing to wait months or years to get results.  In this process is
where young horses are burnt out physically & mentally before their time.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now..
sincerely,
Trish Demers
Carpe Diem Farm