[drivingpairs] Re: young horses - Reply

  • From: "Claudia Novak" <novakc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:06:36 -0500

Hi all,
        The 'age' thing is one that will be long debated.  I totally
agree that the biggest mistake is pushing stock before they are ready
mentally or physically.  I totally agree that most equines don't get a
'mind' until they are six. I also think it is huge mistake to make the
commitment to driving IF you don't have the time to do it regularly.
        I think that there is a huge difference between when people
think 'training' starts.  I think training starts as a foal.  Foals
learn voice commands and how to lead.  They learn how to deal with a
halter and being tied, being brushed and bug sprayed, picking up their
feet and standing still. A 'bath' is a good thing for them to learn
about since they will have to have them for the rest of performance
life!  They need to learn that us humans want them to 'do' something.  I
also want my equines to love to be around me.
        The rest of the 'stuff' just comes naturally.  When you put the
biting harness on at two, it is NO big shock. They just know that their
crazy human is asking them to do something new.  They also know that
'new' is not a bad thing.  I like to do the biting harness thing as a
two year old.  The riding or driving thing can wait until they are
three.
        I used to think that the driving thing had to happen first and
that is how I dealt with all of my stock until the last few years.  With
no one around to help me with the hitching thing or the time, I started
riding first as three year olds.  Worked for me.
        Two of my mares are finally making it to harness this year as
hopefully a pair.  One is six and the other is ten.  The ten year old is
stellar in her attitude and performance so far in harness.  A few years
off being a broodmare didn't hurt her in the least.  The six year old is
coming along nicely.  She is a great bold ride and I doubt she will be
less in harness.
        Yup, I will be starting a pair off as six and ten year olds with
the great assistance of Larry Poulin.  Yes, it might have been better to
start them younger BUT the big caveat, I didn't have the consistent time
to do this before. Driving is a huge commitment much more so than the
casual trail riding.  BOTH your animals and YOU have to make decision
that the time is right.
        While we may talk about the age of animals, we also have to talk
seriously about commitment level on the behalf of the whip.  You can't
just drive every other Sunday in good weather and expect to achieve your
dreams.
Yours,
Claudia Novak
http://www.tangwyllt.com/