[drivingpairs] unhappy single

  • From: Stephanie Sher <ssher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:56:20 -0400

For the last 2 years I've been driving two of my Icelandics as a pair.  Now the
mare is pregnant, due in July (yippee!), so I've started driving the lazy
gelding, Flygill, back by himself in the Meadowbrook.  Before working in the
pair, he was quite nice as a single, seemed to enjoy it, calm and easy.  Now
he's being a horrid little twerp - no, no, I mean he seems to have some issues.
     He's still standing perfectly for hitching and has no problems with whoa,
but the first time he came forward into the breast collar he immediately
started
backing up. He also tried to turn back to the barn, kicked at the whip, and got
a little "light in the front".  When we finally got down the driveway and on to
the road he went along happily enough, but gave me a big fight every time we
passed the entrance to the driveway.  He's long past this kind of silliness,
he's been driving for 5 years.  Now that I know more, I see that the
Meadowbrook
isn't really a great cart.  It has no way to change the balance and even with
two of us in the cart we can't get the shafts floating.  At your best guess,
would you think he 1) just doesn't want to work (he's never had a good work
ethic) 2)is finding the Meadowbrook uncomfortable now that he's been pulling
the
4-wheeler 3) misses his companion who always does most of the work in the pair
4)just needs to get back in work after being off all winter or 5)other?  Does
anybody else have problems switching between single and double?  I hope this
problem is still appropriate for the pairs list :)
Stephanie
Blasted Rock Farm