[drivingpairs] Re: unhappy single

  • From: Albert Seminatore <alsemus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 06:27:33 -0700 (PDT)

Stephanie:
  I have had a similar problem with a pair.  Let me say they were "farm
trained" in that they were used most of their life as a pair to move heavy
loads at any speed they desired.  Whoa was good, leading is unknown, walk is
not one of their long time endeavors.
   I put them back to longlines as singles.  Once I established some sort of
dicipline I put them, as singles, back in harness.  When they give me a hard
time in carriage I take them out back to longline and make that a HIGHLY
disciplined activity.  When I put them back in carriage I try to make it a fun
event
  In other words going to your stall will be more work than going to the arena
which will be more work than going out back for a pleasure drive.  I now work
these pair much more as singles driving and a far amount under saddle.
  Although not perfect they certainly do listen and thnik twice about wanting
to stay at home.
  The only caution I would have is to be certain his actions are not out of
uncertainty.  If he is reacting out of fear -- fear of being alone; fear of not
finding my way home; fear of no supper -- then deal with the fear first.
  Plan each activity with a specific goal and make sure it is well diciplined.
Don't ask for to much at one time. BE CONSISTANT.
  Happy driving..........................................   Al
FreeLists Mailing List Manager <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
drivingpairs Digest Thu, 20 May 2004 Volume: 03 Issue: 096

In This Issue:
[drivingpairs] unhappy single

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:56:20 -0400
From: Stephanie Sher
Subject: [drivingpairs] unhappy single

For the last 2 years I've been driving two of my Icelandics as a pair. Now the
mare is pregnant, due in July (yippee!), so I've started driving the lazy
gelding, Flygill, back by himself in the Meadowbrook. Before working in the
pair, he was quite nice as a single, seemed to enjoy it, calm and easy. Now
he's being a horrid little twerp - no, no, I mean he seems to have some issues.
He's still standing perfectly for hitching and has no problems with whoa,
but the first time he came forward into the breast collar he immediately
started
backing up. He also tried to turn back to the barn, kicked at the whip, and got
a little "light in the front". When we finally got down the driveway and on to
the road he went along happily enough, but gave me a big fight every time we
passed the entrance to the driveway. He's long past this kind of silliness,
he's been driving for 5 years. Now that I know more, I see that the Meadowbrook
isn't really a great cart. It has no way to change the balance and even with
two of us in the cart we can't get the shafts floating. At your best guess,
would you think he 1) just doesn't want to work (he's never had a good work
ethic) 2)is finding the Meadowbrook uncomfortable now that he's been pulling
the
4-wheeler 3) misses his companion who always does most of the work in the pair
4)just needs to get back in work after being off all winter or 5)other? Does
anybody else have problems switching between single and double? I hope this
problem is still appropriate for the pairs list :)
Stephanie
Blasted Rock Farm

Aspice Morgans
Albert Seminatore