[drivingpairs] tandem training

  • From: "Black Dog Hill" <koenenb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:22:10 -0600

Just wondering????

There is a photo in the 1st page of the album labelled *buddy echo tandem
train*.......there is a rider on the wheel horse with the lead horse reins
running back to her.  With no knowledge of tandem at all I want to know
which horse is in training?  Both? the wheel with the rider on?? or the
lead??  In tandem, is the horse in the rear still called a
wheel?.....terminology being the topic of late ;-)  Are these two horses in
this photo hooked together in anyway other than by the rider holding the
reins? It doesn't look like it to me and seems like it would be dangerous to
hook them together but I'm not sure so I'm asking.  If they are not hooked
together except by the reins then I'm going to assume it's the lead horse
that's experienced????? otherwise how would you keep it from wandering all
over or taking off?

Has anyone here ever logged with a tandem hitch/team/pair (what is it
called)?  We are making a trail system on our property and don't want all
the trails to be wide ones.  Being able to use a team in tandem would allow
us the ability to make some of the trails narrow.  Any comments from the
experienced people here?

And one last question....does tandem allow you to use horses of differing
sizes, ie: short one in the front and tall one in the back or something like
that?

Sorry, tons of questions but it's very interesting to me.

Cindy