[drivingpairs] new list and intro

  • From: "Olive Reichard" <olivereichard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:28:35 -0600

My name is Olive Reichard.  I live in Illinois and have a few Welsh Section
A and Section C ponies.  I drive a pair of chestnut 12 hand ponies.  I have
competed in a few CDEs and found it to be too much fun to be legal!  (Thanks
Jay Hubert for sparking that interest!)  I hope to compete next year at
events in Illinois, Wisc. and Indiana at least. I would like to do some
other types of driving such as pleasure drives, distance drives and any
other activities where I get to meet more driving people! I have 2 Sec. C
two year olds that will be started in harness in the spring as 3 year olds.
They are nicely matched and stand 13.2 hands.  I plan to begin their
training in the next few weeks, with some ground work, simple yielding
exercises and ground driving.   They have a very cooperative attitude and
love the attention so I have that in my favor.  I plan to use a trainer to
help me do the serious work of hitching for the first time.  They will need
to be good and solid as single ponies before I hitch them together.  In
addition to the two pairs, there are 3 other Sec. A mares and a cute filly
foal, and my Paso Fino gelding for trail riding.  One of the mares will foal
in 2003 with a Sec. C foal.  (she is in foal to a cob)  Last but not least I
have two children, age 7 and 9 who are a lot of fun (and work), and I am a
almost full time student at DePaul Univ. hopefully only until next June.  I
do a little bit of leatherwork and repair my own harness.  I've made a few
sets of driving lines (beta and in leather)and repair halters.  I have a lot
of ideas of items I would like to make (current project is a checkbook cover
embossed with horse driver and cart).

I am enjoying the posts on this list.  Especially like the stories that Barb
Lee has sent in.  It sounds like you are having a fabulous time down under,
Barb and Rob.

Oh, I do have a pony for sale, that is a fabulous beginner rider and/or
driving pony.  She is very pretty, grey with big brown eyes and bombproof.
Email me privately for more details.  She does go single, double, multiple
or leader in a unicorn.  She is  14 years old and 12 hands registered Welsh
mare.