[drivingpairs] logging and reining board

  • From: "Black Dog Hill" <koenenb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:01:58 -0600

Thanks Hardy,

That was an absolutely excellent explanation of tandem and logging.  I'm a
forestry consultant that operates my own company.  I have lots of logging
experience but have only watched horse loggers and not actually
participated.  Now I understand why I have never seen anyone logging in
tandem.

My personal goal on our own 160 acre property is just to log small trails
that we can drive, ride, ski and walk on.  The operation certainly won't be
of a professional nature (although before I'm too old I would like it to
be).  I expect to be pulling small firewood logs of only 8 foot lengths and
only one log at a time to start.  It would be easy work for the pony mule.
We have a tractor that can do heavier work or work that would put the pony
at risk.  Safety, of course, is my top priority.  If I have to lead him
every step of the way I will.  My Jack is VERY well trained to halter and
even when he's terrified of something he will NOT fight the lead or bolt.
He respects me and trusts me very much and he will be the first one I work
with while we all learn to drive.  Once he and I have things worked out
calmly I'll work with the others.

I have rubber tires to practice with and some harrows too.  No logs until we
are all ok in the corral pulling safer things first.  As for homemade
harness.  I have been doing leatherwork for several years now and have been
researching harness since I started.  I want to make my own so that I know
it will fit my mule properly and not hurt him in any way.  I have other
harnesses to look at for comparison but he's a difficult fit.  He's pony
height and length, has a large girth and neck like a Fiord but a donkey
back.  It would be very hard for me to find a harness to fit him that would
not sore him so a custom build is *his* best option.  I will be extra
careful to make sure he's comfortable in every way and have lots of
experience reading body language.  Mules are great that way.  If something
hurts them, they simply stop working until you make the hurt go away......no
w it's up to you to figure out where exactly the hurt is and what's causing
it.  He and I have a special bond and I would never hurt him intentionally
or otherwise.  I want to make his harness so that he can pull single to
start but later as a team and have the shaft loops and hold back straps
removable so we can log with a logging arch and still go carting on our days
off ;-)

That's why I'm here asking all these questions and thanks to everyone
because I'm certainly learning alot.  It will be awhile before we are
working in harness but I'll be sure and get pictures as we go.

While I'm at it can anyone explain the *reining board* to me?  I've read the
posts with interest and would like to know more.  Is it just for tandem
practice or for all driving practice?

Cindy