[drivingpairs] Re: jeanine's pair set-up

  • From: "Jeanine Rachau" <jrachau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 09:36:35 -0800

Hi Kathleen,

There is a thick black leather washer around the neck yoke ring link (above
the pole end link) that keeps the unit from rattling - fyi.  You are right,
my neck yoke does not come off other than by unbolting.  It will move freely
up and down, forwards and backward.  I've found this very helpful in rough
country!

For my convenience, I keep the snap shackle attached on the neck yoke ring
that I attach to the kidney link when driving.  The other snap shackle stays
on the end of the martingale, which I hang from the same kidney link until
I'm hitching.  When I hitch its:  Reins, snap shackle to kidney link, unhook
martingale snapshackle from kidney link and snap to neck yoke, outside trace
to snap shackle (I leave those on my carriage  singletrees as well) and
inside trace to snap shackle.  Reverse order to unhitch.  I know you know
that, just to clarify!   I found if I didn't have the snap shackle on the
end of the martingale, it just hangs down from the girth until hitched
(annoying).   Also with the martingale attached to the kidney link/hames
when I hang up harness, it's not as likely to get lost.

I think the neck yoke set up, especially with the amount of lateral play my
girls have with their wide kidney links, can be disconcerting at first when
they step off.  It's like they can Jell-O out every where.  It has forced me
to really teach myself how to drive them, not just pointing them where I
want to go and letting the harness keep them together.  I have been learning
how to shape them, play with rein adjustment, that allows them to float with
the system.  I know I don't say it very well.  Grrrr.  I think you will like
it very much - good luck!

Jeanine