[drivingpairs] Re: good time for a minor vent

  • From: Merrie Mills <mynorvegicus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:11:02 -0800 (PST)

Tamara,

I know exactly what you mean.  I'm reluctant to open
my mouth.  Part of the prejudice in me I think may be
due to the fact that I am also a writer and I rather
jealously guard my work.  If it's published, it had
better be published under MY name!

Also, several years ago, my trail riding club had a
"driving clinic" put on by a member who was a very
beginner driver who had an Amish buggy, a "Tennessee
Walking Horse" (obviously a dog-ugly Standardbred) and
a spotted mule harness.  Mind you, it was well known
that I was the "only" driver in the club and had been
for some 20 years... maybe they felt that "ponies" are
inferior in some way....?

Anyway, this guy put the mule harness on a woman's
National Show Horse, and people were exclaiming how
beautiful he was wearing it, and how they were gonna
run up to Amish county and buy a harness and buggy for
THEIR trail horses.... which obviously didn't ever
happen, because any sort of accident would have been
club news....

And so he very warily puts the crupper under the tail
and exclaims to the audience that no reaction.....
this will be a driving horse........  And the owner
confesses that she often uses a crupper on her saddle
on the mountain trails.

So the guy holds up the blind bridle and displays it
to everyone, announcing that this will be the deciding
point..... if anything "happens" in the buggy-training
process, it will be when the blind bridle goes on....
and nothing happened.  No reaction.  The horse is 2/3
broke to drive now...   What a lovely horse he was,
and being insulted that way.

Ultimately, the guy ground drove the horse (and the
horse didn't question a thing), and he tied the traces
to the breeching and explained that that's how you
teach a horse to pull.... and ultimately, he said
you'd tie a "two by four" to the traces, stand on it,
and let the horse pull you a few times on it before
actually hitching to the buggy..... I was a very good
girl and said NOTHING until the question-and-answer
part, when I was put on the spot.

The owner asked if there was a correct way to hold the
reins, which he had unbuckled and trailing the ground
a few feet behind him, between his legs, as he ground
drove.  He told her yes, but he didn't know how.  Then
he suddenly remembered, "But Laura would..."

So he called me through the fence and I went up, and
these suckers were at least an inch wide and 1/8"
thick, plough reins, (remember it was a lovely spotted
mule harness) and I pretty much HAD to hold them in my
fists, but I spread my left hand and showed how they
go, but first I said that you MUST have gloves.  The
owner giggled and laughed good naturedly and repeated,
"I have to have gloves!"  I didn't see what was so
funny about it.

And I was a good girl and said nothing.  The novelty
soon died down in the club.  I haven't had time for
the club in the past year.  All that was in 1999, by
the way.

--- Production Acres <cdhoward@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>....in the end I get tired of
> people repeating my very
> words (sometimes with me standing there) as
> if they themselves thought of it....and always being
> "second" to some one
> more "flashy" or "fashionable"...after
> all who wants to admit that some country biscuit
> made their horse behave
> when they couldn't ???
>
>        vent over

"My furs are not in storage or draped across the bed,
They're hanging from the cage door, waiting to be fed."

Remember:   STUPIDITY IS A SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE!