[drivingpairs] Re: a hardy question....loose cheek bits...

  • From: Kathleen Conklin <conklink@xxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 06:36:32 -0500

thanks hardy and diane,

you both have confirmed my own thoughts on loose cheek liverpool bits
with multiples.  actually, i didn't want to put my opinion forward
first because i am such a newbie to this pair thing .... i didn't
want to get flamed in public <G>.  i "enjoy" the engineering aspect
of things and it just made sense to me that if you pull the inside
ring of the bit towards the pair mate then the front of the bit rings
would pinch the front of the horses lips.  it just can't be comfortable.

i had jh's myler liverpool [6" - 2 slot - #15 mouth] made 2 years ago
with fixed cheeks and then followed it up with one just like it to
fit agnes.  it is very easy to have your existing bit made "fixed"
buy just taking it to your local SS welder and have them put a drop
or two of stainless on the top and bottom of each side of the cheek
to make them incapable of moving.... works great and it is much
cheaper than replacing an otherwise nice bit.  i have also used my
local welder to enlarge bits of mine for the last 25 years.  when i
started out fox hunting i had one of the first draft crosses who
ended up being 17-3 and 1,680 lbs [on a scale].  he would only ride
in a kimberwick and i had a SS one enlarged first to 5.5" and then to
6" over the years.  in all those years and all those thousands and
thousands of hours i have never had a problem with any enlarged bit.

tally ho,
kathleen, john henry \  / & agnes \  /
http://john.henry.org
http://horseblanketetc.com