[drivingpairs] Re: funny story from Dubey's book about pairs

  • From: "Danute Bright" <cdeponyz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Carriage Driving List" <CD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:52:08 -0500

Auguste Dubey tells this story in his book "Carriage Driving in the Course
if Time" : he describes one of the early driving adventures of the publisher
of his book, Peter Geiger. (who survived the adventure and became a 4 in
hand driver himself)
Peter and a childhood friend decided to hitch 2 of their show jumpers up as
a pair. The only thing they were missing was a pole. . .but they scouted
about and found one to "borrow". A local farmer who had slightly more
driving knowlege than the kids helped them put to, all the while complaining
that this adventure was going to end badly. . . after a few hundred meters,
the carriage was in a ditch, and the farmer exclaimed : "I TOLD you it
brings misfortune to go for a drive with the stolen pole of the hearse !"

Dana (glad I have enough of my own poles)