[drivingpairs] Re: drivingpairs Digest V4 #11

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:32:08 EST

In a message dated 1/31/2005 11:07:51 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> From: "M. Denmark" <mdenmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [drivingpairs] introducing a new pair pony
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:58:01 -0600
>
> Hi All,
>

> Well I need some help and advice from the list.  My youngest fat Fjord Pony
> will soon be coming home from the driving trainer.  He has just learned to
> drive single and is very green.  I hope he will be the perfect partner for
> his older full brother that already drives single and most importantly
> pairs.  Do most of you drive your newest potential pair pony/horse single
> for a while or do you put them straight into the pairs harness? My other
> pair didn't think twice about driving pairs when we first put them together
> but they were a little bit older and more experienced.  So with no major
> problems I didn't learn what problems to expect or avoid.  I really love
> pairs as I feel so much safer when the goofy one is with the
> sane/experienced pony.  Any problems/warnings/suggestions with introducing
> the new guy to pairs driving and the pole?

I like to start mine in the pair. So no problem from my end. Go ahead and put
him in the pair. Important: In case you usually drive with an evener, don't
do that with the youngster, but have the evener fixed when you start him in the
pair.  Next: When they start out uneven, which they will, don't hold them
back trying to even it out, but drive them FORWARD and it will straighten out.
Start out making large and wide turns with the youngster on the outside, so he
doesn't right away rub with his hind leg on the pole. Then make large easy
circles when he is on the inside.

> Do you prefer breast collars or full collars for down the road, through
> woods, ADT, CDE type stuff?  For those of you who prefer full collars what
> is your favorite type, why do you like them, and where do you get them.  I'm
> in Texas.  Right now I use Zilco coaching style harness.

I drive with breastcollars, as for our driving they are fine. Full collars
give more pulling power, but need to be fitted very good.

> What about harness when you drive 3 abreast or Unicorn?  Any suggestions on
> books on harnessing?

Unicorn is pretty similar to Tandem and Four-in-Hand, so any books on that is
fine and can easily be done with not much additional equipment needed (tandem
lines, 2 Roger rings, a pole crab with a single tree). Three abreast is
completely different, as you need 3 abreast lines and a double pole plus three
single trees attached to the carriage etc etc. All much more uncommon and more
complicated.

> Now here's a visual for you:  my red headed Appaloosa is being trained to
> drive as we speak.  I think he will be the perfect pair mate for my light
> bodied sport model brown dun Fjord.  I don't think that will qualify as a
> matched pair do you?  When it happens I will post a photo-it ought to be
> interesting or just really odd looking.

All depends on how well they move and act together. Can be done, but yes,
probably won't go as a perfect matched pair, but can still eb a lot of fun.
And
for home, well, once you have two pairs going, you can drive four!  And that
is FUN!
Good luck
Hardy