[drivingpairs] Re: Introducing a new pair

  • From: "Candis Hankins" <kess@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:17:22 -0600

 Hi Mille Ann,  Around here we do what we can to give a new horse a good
impression, so we start him on the side away from traffic. We also wrap the
pole with some kind of blanket and duct tape so if he hits it or slips he
won't get hurt.  But first, since someone else trained him either ground
drive him or hook him up single until you know you are both speaking the
same language and he is comfortable with your driving skills.  You might
also want to limit the swing in your eveners so he doesn't get bumped on
those first awkward starts. Get the attention of both horses by a little
pressure on the lines before asking them to move forward, them give them
slack for a moment as they start to move forward.  This way the new kid
won't bump the bit and stop.  Good luck, Candis