[drivingpairs] Re: draft horse talk

  • From: Production Acres <cdhoward@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 09:33:40 -0400

He proceded to drive them around the ring, then did a diagional across the
ring, with every horse on the bit, in step, in an extended trot! The kind of

performance that takes your breath away!

I doubt that he would have a problem with light horse dressage."

I have felt for many years that there is an incredible snobbery (for lack of a better word) toward the folks and horses that were trained as "working" animals...never have I heard "farmer" used in such second class...or lower...ways as when it comes to _some_ modern drivers of one horse meadowbrooks....

it's like I wish I could grab them all up and say "you know...there _was_ driving before Heike Beans book on the matter" <g> I have seen people worry so much about bend and extension and being "on the bit" that they forget things like "whoa" "come back"... conditioning up to a certain job and standing quietly for what could be an hour....

the old timers may not have had the silly hats and fancy carriages but they did know horses as animals they worked every day...and finding one to visit with could be the best part of ones driving career

Tamara in TN