[drivingpairs] biting

  • From: "David McWethy" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 06:49:25 -0400

I have consistently seen that when biting occurs in a pair, that the biter
is the lower status, less dominant, horse.  I have heard of exceptions to
this, but in my own experience, it has always been the same.  I am curious
to hear what others on this list have seen.  It always has seemed like,
"Wow, this is my chance to bite, because we are in harness, and he/she can't
get me!"  Who knows what really goes on in their minds?

Maybe I have had an exception.  I tried a gelding with a stallion years ago,
and the stallion was the biter (made the gelding very, very nervous).  But
this might be more a stallion behavior issue.  Otherwise is has always been
the timid horse that has done the biting.

Camptown Dave