[drivingpairs] Re: What do you do...

  • From: Peter & Rachel Eldred <preldred@xxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 11:07:56 -0800

Around here, winter means rain. And lots of it. So the fields are too wet to
do anything on, and I don't have a real ring. So either I drive on the road
(which means waiting for a nice day as I don't think driving on the road in
pouring rain when cars can't see you is safe), trailer to a ring with good
footing or an indoor arena. But honestly I can't do much except try to keep
the ponies dry. Conditioning has to wait.
But I have a new project now. I bought a new VSE 3 weeks ago to put in the
pair and she is very green. So I have been just taking her for walks around
the neighbourhood and ground-driving her everywhere too. General despooking
and bombproofing are good winter projects. Due to all the rain, tarps are a
part of life here, and my ponies quickly learn they are no big deal. We are
also learning to cross water!
I have another question. This mare seems to have somewhat tender feet. She
hasn't done much in life yet. I am assuming that the wet weather and lack of
past activity are contributing factors. What can I do to toughen them up?
Would walking on the road help over time? Or does this question belong on
the cd-l instead :) ?
Rachel in BC
Wet, wet, wet