[drivingpairs] What could be the problem

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:26:28 EDT

In a message dated 4/14/2004 12:34:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> So there is no fast rule that the bits for a pair have to have fixed
> cheeks?

No fast rule there. I prefer it for the reasons that you gave. But it also
depends on what bits you have, for example if you drive Hungarian style with
double ring snaffles, you don't have them fixed either. And I do see Kathy's
points why she prefers swivels, but don't necessarily see that with driving
multiples. On a single yes. But so we see, there are always many roads that
lead to
Rome, and as long as you get the desired result without hurting your horses,
any one is fine with me..

On pulling apart, and doing so also when you switch them: My first idea would
be coupling reins too long. But if you checked that too, maybe one doesn't
like the other and one is biting the other and they don't want to be close for
that reason?  Or, yes, as Kathy points out, short pole and no yoke could force
them to pull out. Otherwise, hard to say from here, would have to see it.

And one more word to the "flying lesson". As Kathy points out many pilots get
"killed" in the simulator. With us and horses fortunately it's usually not
quite as bad, BUT, you are not only paying yourself for beginners mistakes, you
are also making your horses pay for your mistakes, and that's not only unfair
to them, but often also VERY counter productive to their training. But on the
other hand, I do agree, we need to be realistic, not everybody has easy access
to a good trainer, but really try to give it your best effords and do have
somebody experienced look over your shoulder every chance you get. And then it
can be done.
Hardy