[drivingpairs] Re: to pair or not to pair

  • From: "Helen Roeder" <helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:15:15 -0500

>I have a pony mule that I've been *trying* to drive single<

Cindy,=20

by "drive single" I hope you mean "ground drive".   Have you tried =
getting someone to lead him in a straight line while you are behind him =
with the lines and ground driving him?    This helps give him the idea =
that he's NOT supposed to be turning around to look at you.   BTW, this =
is normal in the beginning.   It really helps you both if you have a =
helper....even a non-horse person is better than none at all.  =20

As for hitching him with an experienced animal in a pair, I tend to =
agree with you.   He needs to figure out the single part =
first....especially the voice commands.   Your walk-along helper can =
help with that too.  When you say "whoa", the helper stops the mule.   =
When you say "walk" or "walk on", the helper will start leading him.  =
After a couple of times the helper can let go, but still walk along =
beside him while you practice the voice commands.   If you little guy =
doesn't respond, the helper can reach over and "help" remind him.   =
Before long you'll be driving him all over the place by yourself.   Be =
patient.

I have found the most difficult for an animal to learn in the beginning, =
is that they are being given a lesson.   Once they figure out you are =
"teaching" them something, it seems to go faster and easier.    But once =
he learns it, don't make him go over it and over it again.  I have found =
that if they can do it two or three times on their own, then that lesson =
is over.   Go on to something else, or end the session.   Next "school =
day", go back over what you did the time before, just to reinforce that =
particular lesson.   I have also found that they don't need to go to =
school every single day.    A few days between lessons works very well.  =
It gives them time to think about it.  =20

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. =20

Helen