[drivingpairs] Voice Commands

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 13:43:59 EDT

"Just for my own clarification Hardy, do you not give any verbal command when
asking your equines to stop and stand or do you ask with the rein first and
voice second?  Would this be the same whether you were driving 1 or 6 ? Just
curious??"

I don't use any voice for the stop, just the reins, regardless how many (with
possible exceptions as below item 2 or 3).

I use my voice for mainly four things: 1. As a forward driving aid with
various different clucks, to encourage them to move forward   2. As a calming
aid when they are tense  3. in a multiple to call one or the other with his
name to attention, one way or the other, again, either to go more forward or
to relax or to pay attention 4. to praise them when they did something good
or to tell them when they didn't.

I do not use my voice for downward transitions, other than perhaps the
calming, no verbal for upward transitions other than the cluck, no verbal for
turns.
Hardy