[drivingpairs] Voice Commands

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 12:13:23 EDT

In a message dated 8/9/2003 12:06:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Voice commands I'm using.....Ready Dan (wake up sleepy head we're going to
> do something), Let's go (forward), Steady (when he starts to get excited and
> thinks he might break pace), Trot, Whoa, Gee, Haw and Back.

I have posted this before at times, but I find voice commands to a large
degree not only unnecessary, but even counter productive. The "wake up" comand
is
a slight taking up of the reins, a slight halfhalt, then to go forward command
comes immediatley out of that halfhalt with the giving of the reins combined
with s little cluck (or kiss), that's all, and the horse goes forward with it.
Same on the upwards transition from walk to trot, exactly the same, haltfalt,
giving and a cluck (or kiss). Downward transitions is just in the reins and
after the downward transition is done, one needs to give again with the reins.
Turning is just with the reins, so the horse follows the reins. With voice you
ahve no control of how much he turns and don't get any bending. The only use
for my voice is calming them (the steady boy from above is fine), or making
them go more forward, the kiss or cluck. That's all. All else only is too much
in my book, as it is all too long and does not give precision on a sharp
execution.  Even the "let's go" is much longer than my exact timing of the
giving of
the reins with the kiss. Same on the halt: When you say Whoa and the horse
stops on that, you have no precision. The moment you say Whoa you turn over the
excetition of the command to the horse and leave it up to him where exactly he
is going to stop. Here, there, or even there, where exactly? Wit the reins,
it is as you do with your foot on the brake of your car, you give it the exact
dosage you need to stop exactly where you need. Exactly at that stop sign, and
as with the car, when going uphill you know you need a little less foot on
the brake and downhill a little more, and you can give it exactly the dosage
you
need. Same with your reins. But if you just stop of Whoa, you have no dosage,
and no difference between today and tomorrow, and one day you have a alert
and high horse that needs more dosage and one day a tired horse tat needs less.

Same with turns. If you turn on voice commands, there is no way you can tell
him if to turn 90 degrees, 100 degress, 110 degress or ony 70 degrees. But
with the reins you get precision. With your hands you stay in charge, with the
voice you turn over the execution to the horse and then you are at his mercy
and
are not leading / guiding anymore. All of this is even more so with a pair,
where one reacts quicker to the voice and the other slower. Much better control
with both together through the reins.  And don't get me wrong,  am not all
against using the voice, as I said, for calming them its fine and for stepping
more on the gas its fine too. (And for advanced hazard work with a tandem or
team, ok, fine too to alert the leader(s) quickly into which direction the next
turn is going to be, but the rest, much better in the hand and reins)
No time today to explain in details more, but have done so in the past.
Hardy (going off mail for two weeks)