[drivingpairs] Update on Rolland

  • From: Dynasorz@xxxxxxx
  • To: CD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 04:16:56 EST

Thanks to everyone who offered opinions and advice on my Perch gelding's
issues with downhill driving and backing. Several suggested EPSM and other
muscle
related explanations.
I consulted with my vet, who recommended a 6 day Bute regimen to determine if
Rolland's problems are behavioral or pain related. We put him on 2 grams 2x
per day for 3 days, and then 1.5 grams, 2x for 3 days. We are four days into
this program.

Too much rain has prevented work until yesterday when I took Rock and Rolland
on a 1.5 hour drive, with passengers, over very hilly terrain. Rolland was a
totally different horse--back to his old self. He held back beautifully going
downhill (I used less brake than usual as part of the test). He did not try to
trot out of the breeching.  He did not stand with his hip cocked out when
asked to stop going downhill, and he was a gentleman backing into the carriage
house. He did not bite at Rock a single time and showed none of the grumpiness
characteristic of late.

So, what we proved is that his bahavior was definitely pain related. Now we
have to determine exactly what his pain is and what we can do about it long
term.

Just in case we do have an EPSM issue, I have been switching him to a high
fat, low starch diet.

I'll report back to my vet on Monday and see what we do next.

Thanks again for all your input.

Best,

Carla Hawkinson
Walland, TN