[drivingpairs] Transportation

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:27:44 -0700 (PDT)

Welcome Patti.  I found your mention of a wagon and
caravan interesting.  By a 7.5 tonne wagon, do you
mean a one piece truck, like a van?  Or maybe a truck
with two trailers?  Trying to make a picture in my
mind.  I think the caravan means the same as camping
trailer, would mean to us.  Small, beds, stove,
refridgerator or ice box, to stay in, instead of hotel
rooms.  I have heard of a number of UK horse folks
have the attached stabling, really like it.  I have
heard Australia drivers do campouts the same way.  HRH
Prince Phillip shows a truck side, stall picture in
his book.

Around here, most people haul horses in seperate
trailers, pulled by pickup trucks.  Now size of trucks
and trailers, with all their amenities, can vary
widely!!
Some trailers have living areas and horse
compartments.  Others are really only basic horse
trailers.  We might tie a horse to the side of
trailer, but only a few trailers have a horse awning.
Most awnings are for people or carriage covers.  Some
folks stay in living quarters (LQ) horse trailers,
while others stay in motels and drive to show grounds.
 Most show grounds have stabling, but not set up for
stalls on the trailers, or corrals.   Might be a
savings for exhibitor and organizers, less fancy
facilities!

Always interesting to hear how other folks do things.

Kathy Robertson