[drivingpairs] Metamora and Kentucky

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:26:20 -0700 (PDT)

We had a pretty nice weekend at the Metamora CDE.
Grounds were pretty wet after a week of rain.  The
Thursday, early arrivals, slid and skidded in the
slimy mud.  We got in Friday, and still slid around on
the top of the hill.  Got stuck temporarily, but drove
out.  Did leave a hole.  Dr. Barbara Chapman said she
was going to name the pond after us!!

The weather stayed dry and with the wind did dry the
gounds considerably over Friday and Saturday.  From
all the reports, this was the first non-rainy CDE all
season! We finally met Hardy in person, after the
Briefing!

We had a very good time at the Windrush Farm facility.
 Saw a lot of friends, made some new ones.  The
Metamora folks have been working very hard to finish
the 2003 planned improvements.  They had a terrible
spring ice storm that put trees down on all the
trails!  The water hazard had to be finished with two
new bridges!  I thought everything looked beautiful.
Hazards are lovely, with lots of options, can be hard
or simple, for new or experienced drivers.
   There was an extra, unplanned, gate 13 enhancement,
of a stuck-in-the-mud, golf cart.  It was stuck SO
WELL, the organizers just could not remove it before
marathon time.  There was lots of room to go around,
in the mud lake.  Funny, no one spotted the muddy
folks who had to leave it there!  They had to be
pretty noticable!
  Some new faces did really well in singles.  Super
Dressage tests scores.  Also did well on the other
sections.
  A rising temp., made the later drivers have some
heat problems on the marathon Sunday.  Took some extra
cooling of horses, to get all back to normal.  Ours
needed it too, with the rising humidity, after finish.
 Only the third hot day this year!
  We had a really nice go, though score was a little
high. 4-Horses worked pretty hard in the mud.  Young
horse did a nice job as leader.  Getting better each
time out.  Our "personal photographer," daughter, got
some nice pictures and video.
   I have about got everything washed, dried and
returned to it's place again.  Had to hurry, since I
want to go to Kentucky this weekend!  Our horses have
a couple days off.

  The Kentucky Horse Park has the Carriage Association
gathering and the American Livestock Rare Breeds is
there as well!  A two-fer-one visit!  There will be
all the beautiful carriages and some Cleveland Bay
Horses to see, along with other British equine breeds.
 The Queen's Ceromonial Horses Exhibit is also
showing.  Special artwork, carriages, loaned from the
UK. Is anyone else going that way?  I am leaving
Thurs.  It is about six hours with just the truck, no
horses.  I am making sure the 45SPF suntan lotion and
a BIG hat are packed!

Kathy Robertson