[drivingpairs] The passing of a wonderful old mare...

  • From: "Beverly Means" <beverlymeans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <beverlymeans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:31:18 -0800

A week ago this past Saturday I got a call from the fellow who feeds for me
that my old, ancient mare was down and couldn?t get to her feet, though she
kept trying, would almost achieve it and then stumble and fall down again?
I rushed over, and with some time, she regained her feet, managed a few days
but the end was near and given that she was a prime candidate for
dehydration colic, and any number of other indignities, I made the decision
to help her over the bridge? this was done last Wednesday and I know she is
now in peace and quite frankly, so am I.

Its always such a tough decision, that of taking a life, when there is still
a choice in the matter? but it was only a matter of time that there was a
choice and I thought how much better that she go with out pain or stress or
adrenalin?

The story I would like to share is of the two little ponies that shared her
paddock?

They?ve only been ?room mates? for a couple of months, and while the pony
girls were always kind toward her, never bullying her, they weren?t exactly
buddies? the ponies are a pair, full sisters, have lived their whole lives
together so they are a ?unit?? they merely shared the paddock with Sweetie.

Well, the Saturday I got THE CALL I of course rushed over? it was dark by
then, and I covered Sweetie with a horse blanket, and made a pallet for
myself alongside Sweetie so I could lay with her, to calm her, to give her a
sense that she was safe and not defenseless? I laid there, covered with a
sleeping bag, just cooing to the old mare, rubbing her neck where a mommy
horse would nuzzle a baby, talking to her? she was calmer it seemed so I
laid there for an hour or so?

During this time, one of the pony mares stood watch near by, a little aloof,
a little distant, as is her personality, but it was the other one?Dolly?

Dolly walked up to where I was lying prone alongside Sweetie?s back? she
lowered her head until her muzzle rested on my head where I had it cradled
on my arm?

She never nuzzled my hair, wasn?t searching for anything, she just touched
me?left her muzzle there on my head, for the hour or more that I laid there,
as though she was sharing her all knowing vision that things would be fine?
just trust the universe, as it were?

I felt such love and giving from that small pony? it just warmed me through
and through? on a nite that was anything but warm?

Well, Dolly was right, in her own way?

Sweetie regained her feet in a couple of hours? I left her blanketed with
her winter blanket and I put the sleeping bag across her on top of that.

I have a travel trailer out by the Stable yard so I took refuge there,
checking on Sweetie every hour or so, and she stayed on her feet ? yet every
time I ventured out to take roll call, as it were, there the two small
ponies stood, sentries near the old ancient, keeping her company and lending
her their strength and companionship and sense of herd when she was in such
need of same?.

These are behaviors that explain the incredible bond we feel with our
equines, our familiars, if you will?

I just wanted to celebrate Sweeties long, long life (well into her 30?s but
she was a rescue of mine some 7 or 8 years ago so we could only guess at her
true age) and her quiet and dignified passing with the attendance of these
two wonderful pony girls ?

Beverly Means, Pony Keeper
Precious Purple Pony Pharm
California's Central Valley