[drivingpairs] Pulling away from the pole

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:24:55 EDT

Thinking more about this, I think I might not have put enough emphasis in our
discussion on the proper equipment. I only mentioned it briefly, but Don said
it much better. So let me stress also again: Pole straps should ONLY be used
with a self supporting pole (and one that is long enough), but if you have a
drop pole, which means the horses have to carry the pole with their necks, then
you MUST use a neck yoke, so that the pull from the pole weight is just
straight down or straight forward and NOT to the inside towards the pole. As it
still means the horses have to carry the pole weight from their necks, I prefer
self supporting poles. Those can be used with pole straps, but there you must
have the pole long enough so that the angle of the pole straps is not too wide,
which again would mean the horses are being pulled in when holding back or
backing. We often see very short poles these days for marathon hitches. Well,
that's ok, even with pole straps, as long as you don't ask the horses to hold
back with the pole straps nor do a lot of backing. But if you use your brake
properly for holding back then there is no pulling in from short pole straps.
Nevertheless, even there, I do prefer a short yoke to help keeping it more
straight. Note: Pair breeching often is too loose to really hold back the
carriage.
Even with breeching most pairs still hold back with their neck straps through
the pole before the breeching ever really gets engaged. And if your pair
breeching is adjusted tightly enough to really work, then it can easily be too
tight for regular work. So don't think your pair breeching is doing much of the
job for holding back, it usually isn't and they usually hold back a lot with
their neck straps. So do use your brake properly to hold the carriage in
downward
transitions as well as going downhills. The breeching does help  some and
also does so even more for rein backs, but even there a lot of the job is also
done with the neck straps. So also there, a yoke helps to keep the pull
straight.
Hardy