[drivingpairs] uneven pairs

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:25:06 EDT

I had answered Rachel privately yesterday already as she had copied me in in
her post, and I hadn't realized that she did post it to the list. I repeat
some of it below for general interest.
On the one hand, yes, these problems do get worse, unless we fix them early
on. The hotter one will always only get hotter, unless we make the lazy one
work.
On the other hand, sure, we must also make sure that he is comfortable and
it's not a feet problem. And for the idea of  not being able to go shopping for
a perfect partner: Well, let's all rest assured, there is no perfect pair :-).
That's a dream even the folks with a lot of money are trying to fulfill, but
it really never happens perfectly. So in a way, we all try to make the best
with what we have - but sure, some have better than some others. But we also
need to realize when things can't be made, the Porsche and the Mack truck pair
just doesn't work out, no matter how much we train or try to fix, and will not
only not make a good pair, but will usuaaly even get worse over time and then
is really unfair to both horses as it will make the job miserable for both of
them.

So first let's wait till his feet or ok and the ground is too so that  you
can drive on grass or something nice. Then make him work single and get him to
PULL and get some work attitude. Then try again in the pair, take the eager one
back one or two holes in the reins, perhaps just for a short training period,
even make the traces longer for the eager one, so to keep him out of draft
and in your hand, and make the lazy one work, and see if you can get it fixed
that way. Good luck. But if it doesn't work, oh well, then try tandem, and put
the lazy one in the wheel and the eager one as leader. You can have a lot of
fun with that too.
Best of luck
hardy