[drivingpairs] Proper Driving

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:23:42 EDT

Was I a beginner and made mistakes? "Made"? , I still make them!  And
beginner? In many ways I still am one. I don't intend to casting stones nor
condeming anybody, but I also don't go on a research journey, if perhaps
somebody meant something differently than he wrote. I respond to what is
posted and when somebody posts that many people told him not to do what he
plans to do, but he'll do it anyhow and now we should pray for him, or that
he wouldn't do what he plans to do with regular horses, but since these are
only minis then he can, or that he is a trainer's worst nightmare, then I do
speak up.

I think those of us with a little more experience have a responsibility for
not idly standing by when we read some of these plans of some of our
beginners, which are going to not only hurt them but also their animals and
may also endanger others around them. I also realize that some of our friends
are probably beyond our reach when they write about their plans and include
already that many other experienced people told them not to do what they plan
to do, neverthelss, they still insist. Those we probably and unfortunately
won't reach, but we should warn others that those are not good plans.
Naturally many don't think of themselves of falling into this category and
some object when being told.

Horses are wonderful creatures when handled properly, but as most of us know
horses sports can also be dangerous. Many of us know the warning: "GREEN AND
GREEN GIVE BLACK AND BLUE." That's coming from riding, and for those that
don't know it, they talk about unexperienced riders getting into accidents
with unexperienced horses. In driving we have one more very important
ingredient, our equipment, which is much more involved than for a rider, more
expensive than most riding equipment, and therefore prone to being cut short
by beginners. In addition, driving acidents often get much more out of hand
and then become much more dangerous than riding accidents, not only for the
the rider / driver, but unfortunately even more so for innocent bystanders
and the animals.

Thus it is important that especially beginners understand this: We have three
ingredients: Driver, Horse(s), Equipment! Ideally al three should be
experienced and proper, however, we can make do with only two of the above
but then need to be extremely careful. Thus an experienced driver can start a
new horse with good equipment and great care. Or with an experienced horse
and good equipment a beginner can learn with the help of an experienced
person.  Or an experienced driver with well trained horses can also work at
times with jury rigged equipment, but in each case, we know that we have to
be careful.  However, if two of the above ingredients are not proper, then we
are in the real danger zone, and when all three are not proper, than it
becomes a red flag alert and an accident waiting to happen.

Unfortunately some of the posts lately showed all signs of such red flag
alerts. And yes, I know, many have done it and survided to tell the story,
but I also know of many  where it became real ugly.

INEXPERIENCED DRIVERS WITH INEXPERIENCED ANIMALS AND JURY RIGGED EQUIPMENT
EXPERIMENTING ON THEIR OWN WITHOUT EXPERIENCED HELP IS A GURANTEE FOR ABUSED
ANIMALS AND ACCIDENTS.

Accidents and animal abuse must be avoided. Trying to help with that is why I
contribute to this list.
Hardy