[drivingpairs] Re: tandem

  • From: Carolyn Harris <tandemtiger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:02:43 -0700 (PDT)

Tandem...much to my surprise, shock, and sometimes unbearable grief, I find
myself without a working, competitive tandem--after so many years of CDE /
dressage/ and just go for the sheer fun of it/ tandem driving. To those of you
trying tandem, go for it; there is no greater joy when it goes well.
Conversely, there is no greater and quicker disaster when it does NOT go well.
But therein lies the challenge. Drive single, pair, four, unicorn, what have
you...there is nothing like a good tandem. Please don't underestimate the
dangers--no matter the size or skill of your horses or yourself. Study where
you can, with whom you can, and with as many equine combos as possible. Most
comparably-trained four-in-hands are more stable than most tandems. When you
and two equines can 'talk' in tandem, with precision, and at speed when needed,
there's nothing else like it in this little world of ours. Hope to see you all
out there again someday.  Happy driving, tandemtiger