[drivingpairs] Re: Pairs--Teams--Multiples--Reins

  • From: "Larry Neves" <larryneves31@xxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:41:21 -0700

tell a farmer or draft horse man that two horses is not a team and you will
have an argument on your hands normal terminology is that TWO OR MORE IS A
TEAM.

Larry

>From: kathy robertson >Reply-To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >To:
drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >Subject: [drivingpairs]
Pairs--Teams--Multiples--Reins >Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:45:44 -0700 (PDT)
>>>I want to make a terminology point here, so we are all >using the words
the same way. Not trying to be a >snob, but using the terms interchangably
isVERY >CONFUSING. >>A Pair is two horses. Two horses are not a team. >>A
Team is MORE than two horses, usually four, six or >eight. >>There are pairs
in a Team, wheel pair, leader pair. >In a six, the middle pair is the swing
pair. >>Each pair has a place name, so you can speak of them >specifically,
and other people will know which pair in >the Team you are talking about. If
I would keep >saying the team, but really only mean a pair, then >speak of
the whole group as a team again, you will not >understand what point I am
trying to make. 2 horses, >6 horses? >>We Midwesterners are famous for
blurring the true >meaning of wording. Listening to a Plow Day >accounting,
my head just started spinning when each >driver took his team and then they
put the teams >together, and then put them together again. They >ended up
driving A TEAM of EIGHT Teams on a big >combine. But the repeated use of the
Team word made >it all a blur. Good thing he had pictures, I never >would
have figured out what he was saying!! I was >multiplying by four, when he
wasmultiplying by two. >I have been guilty of using words incorrectly, then
>having to explain what I REALLY meant!! >>On the rein adjustments, we use
the longer side of the >pair reins from the coupler buckle, on the inside of
>the pair. Short rein on the outside of each horse to >bit. >Might be the
difference between Draft and Carriage >reins. I have seen most Draft hitches
with reins >(between the horses) on the inside of the pairs, not >the outer
side of heads like Carriage horses. >Carriage horses are always "between"
thereins, while >most Draft hitches (more than a pair) are "outside" >the
reins. >>Kathy Robertson
change to Digest or Vacation mode go to: