[drivingpairs] Pairs help

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:25:48 EST

> " There is a lot of weight on the ponies' necks.
> Looking at pictures of pairs in books and calendars, I see that few have
> the
> constant pull inward from the pole that mine has - I am assuming that these
>
> poles have some sort of spring or attachment that holds up some of the
> weight?"

See there is your answer right there!!! That's what caused them to pull away
from the pole so much all of a sudden on going downhill. They had the inward
pull already all along, but now going downhill without a brake and breeching
not effective enough, that created so much inward pull that they objected,
they went against it, pulling outwards, moving off the pole, and then got
upset! There you have the answer.

Yes, neck collars might help to carry the weight better, but you got to get
that heavy pole weight off he ponies. Sounds like it's a drop pole, with them
carrying the weight? Well, if that's the case, then you should drive it with
a yoke, so that there is no pull inward. And with a yoke, you need it short,
so that the yoke is before their breast and not hitting them in the mouth.
And yes, if you can rig a spring to hold it up, that might help too. Good
luck.
Hardy